Skip to main content

Patient Survives Death Sentence - Medical Negligence?

Doctors do not know everything.    We make mistakes and mistakes in judgment.  Sometimes we make the mistake of speaking when we should keep silent.  At times, patients ask us questions that we can’t or shouldn’t answer; and yet we do.  It shouldn’t be our objective to force certainty into an issue which is amorphous and murky. 

Here’s a response that I recommend in situations where certainty is elusive.

“I don’t know.”

I saw a patient for the first time when he was sent to me for a colonoscopy.  Prior to the procedure, we interviewed him to be acquainted with his medical history.  We are always particularly interested in the cardiac and pulmonary history, as these conditions impact on the risk of the procedures and the anesthesia.   This patient had a lung resection.   He related the details which left my staff and me aghast.

“The doctors told me that I had cancer and would be dead in 3 months.”

Of course, it is not possible for a spectator to imagine the horror of this pronouncement.  To know the date of your upcoming demise, a fate that is only known to those on death row, is cruel torture.   In this case, the doctors were wrong on two counts.  This man wasn’t going to die.  And, he didn’t have cancer.

What a horrible error that didn’t need to happen. While I didn’t have the medical details, here’s what I think happened.   He had a CAT scan of the chest because he was having respiratory symptoms.  A mass was found.  The physicians then followed up with a PET scan, which is a special radiographic test used to determine if a mass is cancerous.   While this result isn’t as definitive as a biopsy, a positive result usually portends unfavorable news.   Oncologists use PET scans routinely.  My guess is that this patient’s PET scan result was on fire and the patient was told that his days were numbered.   Surgery was scheduled.   When the final pathology of the resected lung specimen was issued, not a cancer cell was in site.  This patient had a fungal infection and completely recovered.

This was a colossal error, even though the outcome was a blessing.   If a patient is wrongly told that his condition is benign, and he has cancer, then the same error assumes a very tragic proportion.  My patient lived to relate his saga to the world.

An Error of Colossal Magnitude

Could he have successfully sued his treating physicians?  I think he had a reasonable case for pain and suffering damages, including perhaps, unnecessary surgery.   No case was ever filed.    I would hope that an unexpected gift of life would render a lawsuit to be a trivial pursuit, even if the case had legal merit.  He feels perfectly well now.  The damages diminished and faded while his life endured.  

I recognize that others may have a different view of what transpired here.  They may focus on what was taken from him and that he deserves to be made whole.  They may not feel that he has been given life, as his life was never truly in jeopardy. 

I’ve done about 25,000 colonoscopies and I’ve confronted scores of colon cancer.  I know it when I see it.   When I see a lesion that concerns me, I share this concern with the patient and his family after the procedure.   But, I still wait for my biopsy specimen results before issuing an authoritative declaration.  Shouldn’t I wait until I have 100% of the data before speaking with 100% certainty?

Comments

  1. Yes - definitely wait please, not just for the patients sake but for yours as well!
    Better to be safe than sorry......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Most Doctors Choose Employment

Increasingly, physicians today are employed and most of them willingly so.  The advantages of this employment model, which I will highlight below, appeal to the current and emerging generations of physicians and medical professionals.  In addition, the alternatives to direct employment are scarce, although they do exist.  Private practice gastroenterology practices in Cleveland, for example, are increasingly rare sightings.  Another practice model is gaining ground rapidly on the medical landscape.   Private equity (PE) firms have   been purchasing medical practices who are in need of capital and management oversight.   PE can provide services efficiently as they may be serving multiple practices and have economies of scale.   While these physicians technically have authority over all medical decisions, the PE partners can exert behavioral influences on physicians which can be ethically problematic. For example, if the PE folks reduce non-medical overhead, this may very directly affe

Should Doctors Wear White Coats?

Many professions can be easily identified by their uniforms or state of dress. Consider how easy it is for us to identify a policeman, a judge, a baseball player, a housekeeper, a chef, or a soldier.  There must be a reason why so many professions require a uniform.  Presumably, it is to create team spirit among colleagues and to communicate a message to the clientele.  It certainly doesn’t enhance professional performance.  For instance, do we think if a judge ditches the robe and is wearing jeans and a T-shirt, that he or she cannot issue sage rulings?  If members of a baseball team showed up dressed in comfortable street clothes, would they commit more errors or achieve fewer hits?  The medical profession for most of its existence has had its own uniform.   Male doctors donned a shirt and tie and all doctors wore the iconic white coat.   The stated reason was that this created an aura of professionalism that inspired confidence in patients and their families.   Indeed, even today

Electronic Medical Records vs Physicians: Not a Fair Fight!

Each work day, I enter the chamber of horrors also known as the electronic medical record (EMR).  I’ve endured several versions of this torture over the years, monstrosities that were designed more to appeal to the needs of billers and coders than physicians. Make sense? I will admit that my current EMR, called Epic, is more physician-friendly than prior competitors, but it remains a formidable adversary.  And it’s not a fair fight.  You might be a great chess player, but odds are that you will not vanquish a computer adversary armed with artificial intelligence. I have a competitive advantage over many other physician contestants in the battle of Man vs Machine.   I can type well and can do so while maintaining eye contact with the patient.   You must think I am a magician or a savant.   While this may be true, the birth of my advanced digital skills started decades ago.   (As an aside, digital competence is essential for gastroenterologists.) During college, I worked as a secretary